Flinders Ranges and Outback Family Holidays
A life changing experience
Go on a real family holiday. Take your kids to the Flinders Ranges and outback of South Australia. They’ll never forget it. It’s a life changing experience.
Stay on a farm or a working cattle station or set up a swag in the bush. Kangaroos bound past at dusk and dawn. At night, see blazing orange sunsets and the waking possums, as they scuttle through the trees.
Camp under clear skies, talk together beside a campfire and watch the stars. It’s a great chance to get the kids outdoors, off the couch and away from the TV and show them the Australian outback.
If you only want a shorter trip, take them to the Southern Flinders. There are beautiful towns like Wilmington and nearby Alligator Gorge with its accessible walking trails. Melrose is the oldest town in the Flinders Ranges, dating back to the 1840s and is a great base to explore the area on bike. Quorn is home to the historic Pichi Richi Railway.
Make special memories
If you’ve got longer, then why not do the trip of a lifetime to Wilpena Pound, the Birdsville Track or Lake Eyre? Show them how big, remote and beautiful this country is.
Hunt for ancient marine reptile fossils. Experience Dreamtime stories. The kids will be proud when they make it to the top of a peak and look over the vast, red landscape around them.
Learn our history
They’ll learn more in a few days here than in a year of geography lessons at school. The observatories and astronomers of Arkaroola will teach them about the universe.
Learn about the first Australians who lived in the Flinders Ranges for thousands of years. Find out what life was like for the early European settlers. Let the kids explore what life is like in remote Australia today. Help them to truly understand what it means when a poem speaks of drought and flooding rain.
Visit the Flinders Ranges and outback - it’s a true blue family adventure.
Cosi and family
He's the host of South Aussie with Cosi, a family man and most importantly, passionate about South Australia. Andrew 'Cosi' Costello shares his top five tips for a great family holiday in South Australia.
1. A great starting point is Station Stays SA website. There are more than 20 outback properties listed that you can stay on.
2. Rawnsley Park Station has to be the best decked out property for tourists heading to the Flinders Ranges. There's accommodation for all budgets and a restaurant.
3. While you're there, do the sunset four wheel drive (4WD) tour. They provide the vehicle you sit back and have a drink while the kids are glued to the windows.
4. LOOK UP.. See that.. they're stars and that’s the Milky Way. Stare at them with the kids and talk about how the universe never ends.
5. Giddy up and go to the rodeo. I go every year and they're held at Wilmington, Peterborough or Carrieton. You choose - it’s a cheap family night out and a real outback experience.
Back to top
Places to see
Here are some must-see places the whole family will love.
Things to do
Here are some great ideas for you to try while you’re in the area.